There is nothing better than a warm soup in the cold winter months. This spicy red lentil soup is a classic of Turkish cuisine and quick to make at home!
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 200 g red lentils
- 2 carrots
- 2 onions
- 2 potatoes
- 1 l water
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Half a bunch of fresh mint
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt, pepper, thyme and chili
- First, cut your carrots, onions and potatoes into small cubes.
- Put the lentils, chopped vegetables and water together in a large pot and bring to a boil. Very important: Always wash your lentils with lukewarm water before cooking!
- Now let everything simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, sauté the tomato paste in oil and then add the fresh mint. Be careful - do not let it burn!
- Puree the soup with a hand blender until smooth and season with salt, pepper, thyme, chili and lemon juice.
- Finally, mix the sautéed tomato paste with the soup and you're done!
The soup tastes great in combination with pita bread. Garnish with fresh mint and serve as an appetizer or main course.